Pages

December 14, 2014

Worth it

This week was INSANE! But we got so much done so it was kind of worth it.

Monday we woke up bright and early and I convinced Kellan to skip his afternoon classes with me so we could travel up to Salt Lake and go Christmas shopping! I'm a horrible influence but I don't regret it one bit. We went down to MacBeath's to pick up some hardwood and were floored with all the fun and exotic woods they had to offer. Did you know there is purple wood?! PURPLE WOOD! Sorry I'm shouting, but it's a big deal.



We're planning on making some people some pretty cool presents this year. 



Oh, & after I bemoaned about how we had zero Christmas decorations up we drove all around town looking for the perfect Christmas tree. I know I've mentioned how picky Kellan is about his trees, but this year it was ridiculous. We literally went to five different lots before I told him if he didn't just buy a tree I was going to kill him. FIVE lots people. It just boggles my mind. But in his defense it was also partially because a few places were just crazy overpriced so I guess there's that. 


This place was the priciest and didn't have the tree he wanted, but it did have the best food trucks right outside the lot & I was so excited for the Art City Donut truck that I've been searching for for months, but we were too early and they didn't have anything ready. It was really sad. Kellan had made us go super early so we'd beat the rush (not that it ended up helping too much) & I ended up missing my donut opportunity. That's what you get for being early, lesson learned. 


Here he is with the winner. We also took home a bunch of the trimmings and Kellan made us a Christmas wreath! It's huge and it looks so good!



It was like 11 o'clock but we were too excited to wait to hang it up

And while Kellan worked on his wreath, we watched Christmas movies and I decked out the tree and the rest of the house with Christmas cheer. We still need a tree topper but we love our little tree and I'll admit, driving around was worth it. 


Then the next day we had to wake up SUPER early to get Kellan to his appointment with the podiatrist. He ended up getting another x-ray and found out he has "turf toe" which is funny seeing how sedentary we are, but he got a very large shot in his toe and it seems to be doing much better now. Though he does have a pretty yucky bruise from the doctor wiggling the needle around in there. 

Warning, graphic images next. 



Wednesday we were swamped with homework and school & Thursday I had the practical portion of my clothing construction exam. (It feels fancier than saying my sewing final) I'd stayed up super late finishing my final project but it was a smashing success and I'm going to have to wear it for Christmas. But after all that sewing I couldn't bring myself to sew another stitch so I finished up our advent I'd been planning to stitch together with a pen. I'm going to pretend I wanted the faux stitching look...


Friday and Saturday we finally started in on a project I'd been waiting forever to do. My mid-century modern bar stools. The velvet just arrived this week so while Kellan was outside busy cutting wood for our Christmas gifts I was inside reupholstering the nicest things we own. 

It took a lot of Friday night and all Saturday while Kellan was at the temple with the youth, but the results were stunning. Even Kellan had to admit that he was very impressed and they had turned out "way better than I thought they would." Validation & ammo for future projects he doesn't believe in. Just kidding, he's very supportive of my crazy ideas, but I'm still dreaming of the day I can get our KitchenAid powder coated copper. 

Here's a side by side view & then way too many pictures 'cause I'm just so obsessed. 





& here's a view of the mess that we'd been working in.


Just keepin' it real folks. Luckily we'd rearranged to fit the tree and moved some of our sectional upstairs so I had a little more space to work with but the chaos got so bad it prompted Kellan to promise I'd have a studio one day for all my junk and projects. He sure knows how to woo a girl. 

It's since been cleaned because we're getting ready for a few Christmas parties this week after finals but that's what's been going on in our neck of the woods. 

We are beyond excited for this semester to be over and we cannot wait for Christmas! It even snowed a few flurries here this morning but it didn't stick for long. Hopefully we'll get a white Christmas here in Utah though, here's to hoping. But first we have to get through finals... Wish us luck! 

No comments :

Post a Comment